Hey yall! How you living? How your mama ‘nem? That’s good. I always did like your mama! Anyway, I’m hear to talk about my reflections on the last couple of years since I’ve been sick. I’m going to start doing a lot more stuff on the blog about it so it makes sense to talk about it at just around the 2 year mark.
For those of you who haven’t known me for two years, I’ll give you a brief synopsis. For those who have known me…consider this a refresher. I’m sure you didn’t study the first time anyway.
- Senior year of college, I got a bad case of allergies and what was soon to be diagnosed as asthma. Cool fine. Asthma was like the new cool hip thing to get in DC. It was like…”oh you don’t have asthma…you must be new here” Inhalers were the new black.
- Then I went on for years…like 7…give or take a day poorly coping with this asthma on and off. I mean…who deals well with that.
- In 2013, my asthma was getting worse and I was also losing a lot of weight (on purpose) so it didn’t make sense to me for my breathing to be worsening. So, I went to a bunch of doctors.
- Lesson…TRUST YOURSELF. The advice I got from the specialist I went to was pure and utter bullshit. I called him on it but he still wasn’t moving with a purpose so I was looking for new doctors.
- As I was looking for new doctors, in late February 2014, I was hospitalized and needed to get my gall bladder removed. That surgery went well.
- However, the night after the surgery, I suddenly had a horrible case of pneumonia and I was severely hypoxic. Therefore, I had to be put on a ventilator for over a week.
- No one knew what was wrong. I was poked and proded for months. I was diagnosed with what later turned out to be a symptom and not the actual issue.
- Was hospitalized again in October 2014. You can read these posts on what happened: October post, Diagnosis post
But now…here we are. I’m the cutest girl on oxygen you know and you love it!
Through it all, I can’t lie and say being sick has been easy. It hasn’t been. I can’t say that I express that well at all but it’s not easy. I’ve struggled with a lot and I’ve been fairly silent about it. It’s mostly been because I don’t think anyone will care or really believe me. I’ve been hesitant to make plans because who knows how I’ll feel from day to day.
I spent most of 2014 just trying to understand what was going on and 2015 just attempting to understand, deal, and start to get over being sick. In the last 7-8 months, I’ve been able to get over my mental block about what’s been keeping me down and begin to “live” a lot more.
I’ve got a lot of life left in me even if it’s not as much as I’d like. But who knows…I may outlive all yall. See what could happen is that my own personal oxygen supply could save me from the zombie apocalype…or something right. Like…maybe if the zombie apocalypse is like it was in World War Z where they skip the sick and shut in.
But, I’ll be sharing more with y’all lately. Through this, I’ve really been able to start pursuing everything I want in life and I feel like I’m here to help others do the same. I’m celebrating by launching this shirt on teespring. If you love it…buy it: https://teespring.com/befearce